Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Mar 2015 10:11:53 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Load vs fuel consumption..
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I was surprised to discover there was that much difference in fuel consumption when I switched over to use up a few tanks of premium gas, while recording every mile, using an app called "Fuelly" on my smart phone. It confirms the figures. Now, after about 4 months and ~ 20k miles driven since I switched over to premium gas most of the time, I can quantify a couple of miles per gallon improvement in gas consumption . As I was tuning my inline hybrid motor I could NOT detect any knocking at all, even when I was abusing the motor with high loads and low revs to see if it was knocking....However, the Gurus at Techtonics Tuning told me that I *should* burn premium because this particular combo of ABA and 8-valve head results in a high compression engine...Obviously, they know what they are talking about....

Yes indeed, the speed at which you drive does make the most difference in fuel economy, especially in our square vanagons, but true for every vehicle. I also have another van, an AWD Safari that I bought for the traction and to use for work....I record fuel consumption in that one also, and at around 70mph I get 14mpg and at 55 it gives me around 18mpg. That Fuelly app is handy as it records a lot of data for you with just a few keystrokes while at the gas pump....It's got a function to figure your cost per mile....The Vanagon clocks in (averages) at $13.5 cents per mile, the Safari AWD costs $17.5 cents per mile...for gasoline only, of course.