Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:02:12 -0500
From:         Kevin Duvernay <kduvey@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head stud testing
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com>

I don't know if this would work for head studs, but I've snapped two exhaust studs near the base (too close to grab with vice grips or weld a nut on). I had good luck with both drilling them out (VERY carefully) up to 17/64ths one or two bit sizes at a time then tapping with a M8x1.25 tap - the same size at factory original. Might be worth trying this before a helicoil.... helicoil should be absolute last resort.