Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:02:37 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle Stabilizer System Delete. Cause Bog Off Idle?
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com>

Thanks Dan. AFM should be ok but will recheck voltage drop outs.

On 4/11/15, Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com> wrote: > the bogging down symptom could be dead spot on your AFM > > On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Hi all. >> >> This is for an '88 2.1 WBX with Digifant. The idle stabilization valve >> and control unit are currently unplugged. (see below). >> >> However. If: engine systems are working correctly, IS system is >> connected, no other loads are on engine (AC, PS, heater etc.), when >> accelerating from a dead stop, does the throttle switch act as an >> input? i.e. if that input were missing, would this cause an >> occasional bog when accelerating from a dead stop? >> >> I would think it doesn't make any difference given that the IS system >> should only affect the engine at idle, but then I have to wonder if >> there's a transition of sorts that happens when accelerating from a >> dead stop. i.e. at idle, air that is bypassed into intake plenum via >> ISV is closed off as the throttle opens. (throttle switch input?) >> >> Regardless if engine off (ign. on) or "1" wire connected or not, >> engine running, the valve draws far less than the ~ 420 mA spec. Like >> around 130 mA VAC. The valve buzzes and I can blow air through it when >> it's operating. The engine runs ok otherwise but has the occasional >> minor bog accelerating from a dead stop. The worst bog so far, was >> during a trip in Harrison Lake area here in BC. While traveling back >> out of camp, we pulled over on a hill. When I went to accelerate from >> dead stop up the hill, the van took some time before accelerating. >> Accelerator pedal about 1/2 down made no difference. In a second or >> two, the engine "caught up" and accelerated. I can't see how the idle >> stabilization valve would figure into this though. >> >> FWIW, my local parts guy pointed me towards the Audi 5000 as a >> possible parts source for a used valve. I'll search more on this, but >> found this page interesting: >> >> >> http://vnc.thewpp.ca/stuff/bentley/ep0niks.ctech.ca/vw/eva2/FU01/ch6.3.2.html >> >> Via a linked page there, I see mention of 2 and 3 pin valves. I don't >> know if all 2.1 WBX digifant engines have this, but the ISV connector >> on my '88 has a 3 pin housing with only 2 pins being used. >> >> I would think a CIS-E ISV is harder to find than the Vanagon part but >> it may suffice? >> >> Neil. >> >> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca> >> >> 1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy> >> >> 1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical >> <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/> >> >> Vanagon-Bus VAG Gas Engine Swap Group <http://tinyurl.com/khalbay> >> >