Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:59:44 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeffrey@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Audi

I have a 2005 Avant with 136K. Great car - bought it new. It is however, an expensive car to fix. I did the timing belt myself which basically requires taking the front end of the car off. Doh! That was a fun weekend. Timing belt in a shop is around a $1200 -$1900 job depending on who does it.

My Avant needs a water pump - $1100 - and a clutch in another 10K or so ($900). If your seller hasn’t replaced either one of those, plan on doing them soon.

I don’t know if the ’98 has a coolant flange, but that’s another weak point in the coolant system that fails and is expensive to fix because it’s buried at the bottom of the engine. I had the driver’s door window regulator go south a couple of years ago and that was around $700. ABS sensors are rather pricey as well from what I hear.

BTW - these are independent shop - not dealership - prices I am quoting, although I live in the Bay Area and mechanic’s labor prices tend to be higher here.

I’m hoping that when the new A4 platform is revealed in August, that there will be a diesel Avant with a stick shift and Quattro to replace my ’05. Hey Audi - is that so much to ask? = )

Jeff in Marin