Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Apr 2015 15:30:48 -0700
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: heater fan

James, not sure if you got this problem resolved or not. I did not see too much response on the List. If you finally found the fuse and are sure it’s good then you can access the switch by removing the face plate of the heater levers. Easier said than done, first remove the levers by using a pair of bent needle nose pliers and grabbing the lever as far towards the faceplate as possible with the lever in the middle location, then pull forward and down or up depending on the lever, look inside with a flashlight and you will see why you need to pull downward or upwards, the lever has a bump on it which will catch on the faceplate as it comes out and break the faceplate. After you have removed the levers then you can remove the faceplate by prying on the corners, upper right and lower left if my memory serves me well, with an upholstery panel removal tool where the pins are that go into the clips on the dash, being careful to not break off the plastic pins ! Now you have access to the switch which you can remove forward by releasing the spring clip on one side. Now you have the switch with all the wires attached, find the power wire with a test meter and jump it to the three other terminals that are not a brown wire to test the fan’s operation. The brown wire is ground if you don’t already know this. If the fan runs then replace the switch, I have them in stock. If the fan does not run, then the problem is inside the heater box and your into removing the dash, breaking open the heater box and replacing and or repairing the heater blower motor, fan speed resistor, heat exchanger, and all the seals on the vent flaps along with a good cleaning and whatever else you find wrong while your in there. That project is usually a 16 hour, seriously, project in my shop !

> On Apr 15, 2015, at 9:00 PM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote: > > Re: heater fan

Please note that I will be away from my business travelling from December 01 until April 30, 2015. Parts orders will be processed although not as quickly as usual. I will always be available for contact by E-mail. If you phone your call will be addressed by Darrell or Carol and they will either call you back or advise you to contact me directly by E-mail. Details of this adventure are on our Travel Blog: http://frankcondelli.com/travels/ <http://frankcondelli.com/travels/>

Cheers, Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale <http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm>) Frank Condelli & Associates <http://www.frankcondelli.com/> - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley BusFusion <http://www.busfusion.com/> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 04 ~ 07, 2015