Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Apr 2015 16:11:45 -0400
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Help!!! Won't start
Comments: To: Jeremy Stovin <jjstov@yahoo.com>

If the solenoid definitely clicks when you turn the key, the ignition switch and the switch at the shifter are probably OK. The next question is whether the battery is low or if there is a poor connection in the main starter-battery circuit. A voltmeter is very helpful here; everyone should have one along in their van. The most difficult but also most important test is the voltage at the starter solenoid while cranking (or trying). If the voltage at the solenoid connection to the big battery cable drops to less than 6V while trying to crank, there is a bad connection between there and the battery ( assuming the battery voltage holds up above 10V or so.) If you get good voltage going into the solenoid, check it where it goes from the solenoid into the starter. If that is also high, the solenoid is not making good contact, even tho it moves mechanically. The only thing to check to be sure of this is that the starter body voltage stays near zero while cranking. If not there is a bad ground connection between the engine/transmission and the body.

Most of these tests can also be done with a simple 12V test light if no meter is available.

Good luck, Larry A.