Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Apr 2015 09:48:49 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Throttle Switch and Failure to Start.
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>

At 09:03 AM 4/20/2015, Larry Alofs wrote: >IMO alcohol cleans and dries up the moisture and does not leave any residue >of its own. WD40 however, leaves a film of lubricant which will collect >dust and eventually form a conductive film when it gets damp again. I find >alcohol works well in damp weather if applied carefully and wiped off >completely. Of course a new set of ignition wires can help a lot. :-)

Alcohol is miscible with the water and carries it away by making it a small fraction of the volume present; Path labs use multiple changes of 190 ETOH with a final one or two of absolute alcohol to dehydrate tissue prior to saturating it with wax and embedding it in wax blocks for slicing a few microns thick and staining. WD40 in smaller amounts preferentially attaches to many surfaces and shoves the water out of the way. I haven't used it for wire drying since it was reformulated a few years ago, taking out the Stoddard solvent that was the main component and adding some actual lubricating oil; so I have no opinion on its relative effectiveness since the change. I discovered it by accident looking at MSDSs.

Yours, David