Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:12:24 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Outside magazine article Vanagon/Sprinter content
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

Here is the problem I have. If you own a Sprinter in their native habitat of Europe or the United States it might not be too bad. But if you want to travel with one through Mexico, down through Central America or South America, I would not do this. Or if my USA travels took me to the backside of no where all the time.

Here is a common problem that is minor in a Vanagon and major in a Sprinter. You leave your radio or some interior light on all night by mistake. You wake up the next morning and your vehicle battery is low or dead. With a Vanagon manual, get a push start and you are up and running, or if you have an automatic, get a jump from another camper or go buy a new battery and install it or jump off of it.

Sprinter, have van towed to nearest Mercedes dealership, have Mercedes recharge or replace battery. Van must be hooked up to Mercedes factory computer tool and ECU needs to be reflashed to key in ignition. This is not a speculation, this happened to an owner that I know. Except his Sprinter was in Belize so we had to remove the ECU and the keys, send them to a place in Washington state that specializes in this problem, have the ECU installed into a Sprinter there, and have the keys resynced with the ECU, send these parts back to Belize, reinstall in the van, and it would finally start and run. It only took a few months to accomplish all of this mailing things back and forth, etc.

And that is just one example. I am not even going to start on the fact that diesel filters need to be changed constantly, they are expensive, diesel service needs to be done very regularly, diesel fuel quality needs to be top notch where ever you go (forget going south of the border folks). It goes on and on. The expense of the parts is very high and if you get an early sprinter, they are very difficult to get. I was trying to get parts for the same guys Freightliner Sprinter. I called Mercedes. Nope we don't support it, call FL. Called FL, nope we don't support it either. Finally got some of the parts from Chrysler dealership, but they didn't have access to everything.

Vanagons are way easier to work on, none of this computer that has to be logged on to Mercedes factory in Germany junk, and the parts are much easier to get and less expensive.

Just my experience with them. My brother had one that I worked on for him. He saw the writing on the wall when a simple brake job was $800 in parts alone. I see them being driven everywhere by fedex and plumbers, but I don't know how they are getting to work on them or get the parts from. It is a real frustration.

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com