Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:36:05 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cat Bypass Pipe "pros & cons"
Comments: To: PSD <psdooley@verizon.net>

I do not have actual experience with the WBX engine and catalytic converters so I am speaking in general terms only. That being said, I'm pretty certain the WBX was designed before catalytic converters came to be the mandate. A bandaid fix, to try to help clean up emissions from internal combustion motors. It has been the practice of engine builders looking for performance and efficiency to do everything possible to remove the exhaust gasses as quickly and completely as possible in order to leave room in the combustion chambers for fresh combustion gasses. Free flowing exhaust systems do almost always show rather significant improvement, as verified by dyno numbers. As for the environmental ethics of not running a cat.....Ethics seems to be open to interpretation, especially here in the US....There are whole industries in blatant violation of clean air standards, putting millions of tons of pollutants into the environment day after day...and they simply pay a token fine, as a cost of doing business in the US....sometimes. You could probably remove the cats from every wbx motor in the whole world and run them till the Rapture and you would still put out less pollution than one Dong Feng container ship full of coal headed to China for industrial use... If the laws allow, running with no cat should make for noticeably better efficiency in any motor....unless it was specifically designed and programmed to run with a cat. as an integral part of the system.. It would be very instructive to get some actual dyno numbers from someone who'd do a few 'with and without' dyno runs.