Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 2015 07:11:57 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Outside magazine article Vanagon/Sprinter content
Comments: To: Karl Mullendore <tdiguru@westyventures.com>

Karl, I am speaking from experience. The early Sprinter (I think it was an 01) battery went dead and it corrupted the coding in the ECU so the immobilizer would no longer allow the van to start. We went through all of the rigamorole I described just to get it to start up again. I wish it wasn't true but I experienced that. I also personally serviced my brother's 2004 passenger Sprinter. The brake parts all had Mercedes emblems on them and they were expensive. I have about 16 years worth of sourcing aftermarket parts and I couldn't find any for the van.

What year is the Sprinter you are dealing with? Maybe parts have gotten easier to get as time has gone on. The biggest weakness I see is the immobilizer system which requires access to MB via the internet to get things back online and this can only be done by a very few locksmiths around the country or the MB dealer. I wish you the best with your Sprinter, hopefully you will never have to deal with these issues.

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com