Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2015, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Apr 2015 23:43:16 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Miami and back on a mission

This trip was the first Westy trip during my retirement and it came about rather suddenly. My aunt died, the last one from the Greatest Generation, and I made the trip to the funeral solo. I could have driven the Civic and made better time with greater economy and for less total cost but where's the fun in that? Anyone can drive a compact there and back but it takes someone with time on his hands and no better sense to drive a Vanagon.  Bought the van its second tank of gas for the year, washed off the Richmond pollen and changed to a new filter with fresh 15W-50 Mobil 1.  I also found a broken headlight adjuster and did a quick fix using a split length of fuel line.  Made a leisurely drive down over 2 1/2 days, camped two nights (at SC and FL state parks) and tried to enjoy that seemingly endless I-95 drive.  I've posted separately about the tire failure that added so much drama to the trip so will leave that part out.  Saw three Assuan Brown Westies and one white one, and SIX Rialtas. On the trip home saw one pristine white-over-green Bay Westy on I-85 in Greensboro NC. On the final morning in Miami while gassing up on my way to pick up my new tire I was approached by an old Latino gent who was admiring the Westy.  My lack of Spanish hampered the exchange but he evidently once owned an '85 and still has parts for one.  Sounded like front and back windshields, mirrors, bumper caps and an engine, and maybe more stuff.  He seemed certain it's a 2.1 but I thought all '85s had the 1.9.  Anyway, I was trying not to spill while pumping the gas and the station was busy and he vanished before I could ask him more questions. So, Florida folks, somewhere below South Miami is an elderly fellow hanging onto Vanagon parts.  Brush up on your Spanish and go find him, but please don't tell me if he also has a perfect sunroof Syncro stashed away in his attic.   Got my tire and headed out.  Then at a rest area was approached by a couple from Vermont who'd left their non-air conditioned '86 Westy at home and drove the Forester (with A/C) south, and his brother also owns a Rialta.  We had a pleasant chat and parted, then things got really interesting.  I'd been thinking on the drive down that I'd like to see a space launch someday, and while driving north on I-95 past the Cape Canaveral exits heard on the local NPR affiliate that there was to be a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch in about two hours.  I dove off 95 and found a viewing spot on a causeway and was able to watch it.  Not a monster Saturn 5 rocket as in the old days, but satisfying for the sheer luck of it. The rest of the drive home was mostly uneventful.  I got off 95 in South Carolina to go a previous employer's HQ (my last job in the bike biz before changing careers) and found out how restful 80 miles of rural two lane can be. What a marvelous break from the interstate.  One minute it was all 18 wheelers and SUVs blasting past me and literally the next minute I'm all alone on a quiet stretch of narrow country road.  Thank heaven for US 21.  I'm sure the van appreciated it, although except for the blown tire it never missed a lick in 2405 miles. Bought 10 tanks of gas and averaged about 19.5 MPG. More trips to come once we get the new tires. Stephen