Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 May 2015 12:35:25 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: '84 Westy door seal replacement
Comments: To: nirav patel <agencia72@gmail.com>

I just did this a few weeks ago. There is a seam where the two seal pieces are met together. I usually try to put this in the center of the door, in the crack area to hide it. You are going to have to unhook the door holder (clip and pin) and then if you have any electrics going from the door to the body you are going to have to unplug them (inside) and thread them through the body hole. You want to be able to put the seal on without cutting it and that is the only way. I then used Loctite glue # 30540. You clean the seal with some alchohol and also the door area where you want the new new to stick. Go around that area with a scraper and be sure all of the old glue is off and old seal. Now put a bead of the glue all the way around where the seal is going to stick. Now hang the seal on the door so that it is sitting on the top and hanging down. Put a bead of glue on the part of the seal that goes around the upper part of the door. You need to let the glue on the door and the seal both dry for about 5 mins. Now put one more layer of fresh glue on the seal that is going on the upper part of the door and press the seal home. As you go put the fresh glue on the seal, pushing it home a bit at a time until the upper part is in place. Now go to the under side of the door and do the same thing working your way to the inner crack where the door and body come together. Finally do the part that is in the crack. It should seat all the way around without bunching or having loose seal. After you have the seal where you want it, and it seems to be stuck pretty well, look it over to be sure there isn't extra glue that got on the seal side where it is going to touch the body when you close the door. You don't want to glue the door shut. Clean off any extra glue with your alchohol. Now close the door and let it sit closed for an hour or so. That should do it. Now you just have to reinstall your door stay and any wiring and you are good to go.

Hope this helps you out.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com