Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 May 2015 19:49:03 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Awesome Vanagon Close Encounter
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@gmail.com>

He didn't have any idea. His first questions were about where he could get one. I told him about the usual channels. then he went on to tell me about how he had bought one just like it way back. I showed him the interior. He remarked that his had the same green stripe. He didn't seem to know much about the engine, so I showed him the layout by peeking under. I guess back then, it was just a car, the way it took me a long time to figure out the engine in my new 90 Carat. There's just no need to get into all that with a new car.

It took it a minute for it to sink in that this was his car. I went on with a bunch of stuff that crystallized suddenly: my parents knew his parents, his parents were playing cards with my parents the night they got the call their house was on fire and which had them living in the westy in the driveway for weeks, that I walked home with his older brother from elementary school and junior high every day and his brother was eventually killed in Korea, all the facts I knew peripherally about the family suddenly were connected with the car. He just repeated at how his dad's motto was "I know quality equipment when I see it" and how proud and happy he would be of what became of his beloved car. "Dad would be flipping out right now." He was a lot more interested in that sort of thing than the fact that he had purchased it himself. It really must have meant a lot to his father.

It is the same car that caused my eight year old grandson to survey it from the top bunk on a camping trip a couple of weeks ago and say "this is the most awesomest vehicle in the whole world." Travis loved that.

Jim