Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 May 2015 09:48:32 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 WBX Coolant Loss: Searched Compression test results.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

I was just reading up here on Mobil oil about leak down tests. It mentions something similar to what you did: http://tinyurl.com/qh6sfzw

"Hearing problems Beyond getting an overall picture of engine condition, the engine leakdown test is an excellent way to pinpoint where problems are before tearing down the engine. Listening for where the air is escaping by ear can isolate the problem.

Intake valve : Air whistling out of the intake, carburetor or throttle body indicates a leak at the intake valve. Exhaust valve : Air heard hissing out of the tailpipe, turbocharger or exhaust manifold means an exhaust valve leak. Piston rings : Whistling or hissing out of the PCV valve, oil filler cap hole or dipstick tube means the air is pushing past the rings. Suspect ring or cylinder wall wear. Head gasket : Air bubbles in engine coolant seen at the radiator filler cap could mean air escaping into the coolant past the head gasket. Cracked cylinder head : Bubbles in coolant or coolant being pushed up out of the radiator neck can also indicate cracks in the cylinder head or cylinder walls."

On 5/3/15, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> ....I found the leak by > removing the sparkplugs and putting air pressure into the pressure bottle > of the cooling system...then I took a piece of conduit and listened > carefully at each spark plug hole....found the leak, no problemo....

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>