Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 May 2015 10:57:13 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake squeal
Comments: To: Geneva Saint-Amour <genevasaintamour@HOTMAIL.COM>

What is the condition of the rotors? New or at least re-surfaced? Most brake squeals are the result of friction irregularities between the rotor and pads. This can be from the rotors not turning true or the surface being glazed or worn unevenly or having surface irregularities. One thing with disc brakes is that the outer diameter of the rotor is actually traveling faster than the center. The pads design and mounting has to take this. The sequel is the pads oscillating and chattering. Silencing shims can be the best defense. There are now also piston cushions available to fit between the piston and inside pad.

If the rotors were not replaced or at resurfaced I would begin there. Remember the where limit is 13mm for these. If near or below that thickness time for replacement.

Dennis