Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 May 2015 17:39:50 -0400
From:         Rolf Lockwood <rolf.lockwood@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas - Cheap vs Expensive
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

For me the issue is the ethanol content in almost all gasoline. I want nothing to do with it. I've had to replace tanks in two old but otherwise rust-free Volvos I own, because they'd been sitting too long with ethanol-laden gas in the tanks. They rusted through because -- and I don't know the chemistry involved here -- ethanol promotes the separation and settling of water. A friend of mine who restores cars for a living says this is an epidemic.

So I search out ethanol-free gas -- usually Shell's premium V-Power -- for those cars and my 1990 Westy. I don't care about cost, but you get some of that back in extra fuel mileage anyway because the energy density of ethanol is much lower than any gasoline grade. Meaning you'll get more work out of pure gas than any ethanol blend.

See this website for help in finding pure gas... http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Rolf in Toronto

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > I generally use regular grade and whatever brand is convenient and lowest cost. I have had some bad gas experience with off brands but in general most normal gasoline will do the job. > > Short of an engine modification how does one do a "compression" adjustment. And normally valve adjustments should not be required unless a "repair" is needed. > > The carbon build up and stuff that is often referred to with fuel injected engines comes from the fuel vaporizing behind the intake valve and leaving deposits behind. This has little to do with actual dirt in the fuel system of injectors. These deposits when thick enough can cause a number of operational problems especially during cold operation as the fuel can be absorbed instead of vaporizing causing all sorts of cold engine performance problems. When really bad they can also cause problems during normal operation. Deposits are also caused by engine oil being sucked down worn valve guides especially when they are missing the stem deflectors. Excess carbon the pistons and the inside of the heads can cause hot spots and increase detonation so sometimes older engines may benefit from higher octane fuel. Sometimes! High loads, speeds, use of AC and other situations may bring the engine to the point of ping but normally regular grade (87) should do the job. > > Dennis > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of PB > Sent: Friday, May 15, 2015 2:24 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Fwd: Gas - Cheap vs Expensive > > About a year and a half ago there was a thread about which gasoline to use. If I remember right, there was a general consensus that Vanagons were made to use cheap gas, so I immediately switched from 91 octane Costco gas <http://blog.modbargains.com/what-is-top-tier-gas-and-why-it-matters-its-at-costco/> > to 87. > > A few weeks ago, after a tuneup and compression adjustment in all 4 cylinders, my mechanic, Bela, told me I was using "BAD GAS." He told me that Costco gas was BAD, and would ruin the cylinders, and that I needed to use 91 (89 at the lowest) octane *MOBIL* gas for the best performance. (Mobil gas is extremely high-priced, and averages $.3 > 5 > - $1.00 per gallon above all other brands.) OK. So I switched to Mobil > 91 octane - for my van ONLY, and I actually have been getting better mileage. (Had to use Gas Buddy to find the lowest priced Mobil, which is on my daily route, and pay cash to avoid credit card surcharge .) > > > Yesterday, I noticed the dog-eared stickers on my passenger door, and was able to see that 91 octane was recommended when the vehicle was made <http://s74.photobucket.com/user/edtech2000/media/Westy%20Sticker%2091%20Octane.jpg.html>! > Another online source > <https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5572227> suggests that cheap gas is OK if you supplement with a fuel cleaner every few tanks. > > Does anyone agree that cheap gas is OK if used with fuel cleaners? What about Mobil vs other brands? > > Patti > 9 Westy Automatic > Los Angeles > > > *♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪* > If it's not on my Smart Phone, it doesn't exist... > ●▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬♥▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬●