Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 May 2015 09:41:45 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: RELIABLE Air Conditioning!
Comments: To: PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>

In addition to the AC design being a bit challenged you have to deal with the fact that this is a 21 year old system. You need to find someone that really knows what they're doing for a good evaluation and it may take some money. Even converted to R-134a the system should work well if done properly. The expansion valve should be replaced with calibrated for the R-134a. Hose replacements and servicing the evaporator are extremely labor intensive jobs so most shops avoid this and the fill and hope it lasts for some time. Electrics are not properly diagnosed and you don’t get the benefit of the three radiator fan speeds. Things of that nature. The evaporator gets dirty and clogged and you can’t get the cold air it should deliver. If you do go for major repairs ask for some warranty on the work. If paying a premium ask for the AC tech certifications. I hate to see folks spend thousands and still not have AC. The 87 and later systems should work. The earlier ones were too small. For your extreme temps an additional condenser can also be added to improve performance.

Dennis