Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 2015 09:54:23 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Pads Worn At An Angle?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I really appreciate you commenting on this Dennis. I checked online for this type of wear, and saw other examples of same, but no real explanation. What concerned me a little was that all 4 pads showed the same type of wear. i.e. were the rebuilts just that crappy? Conversely, since all 4 wore the same, maybe that's just how they wear on a caliper using that type of piston. However. I just found this samba thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385646 It has great pics showing the type of caliper piston I refer to AND offers explanations suggesting the silencing shim helps keep the piston from turning. i.e. pistons with recesses have to be kept in a certain position, vehicle side specific.

If I had some excellent images of these shims, (mit tabs) I'd make my own.

Neil.