Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 May 2015 07:42:57 -0600
From:         Jon VO <jondvo@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aux battery hookup
Comments: To: Ryan Perry <rjdperry@GMAIL.COM>

I've got 80AH, but the CO2 & gas sensors, plus the radio memory draw about 50mA. I put the battery on a Battery Tender (http://www.batterytender.com/Automotive/Battery-Tender-Junior-12V-0-75A.html) after about a week. I wired in a connector to make it easy. Jon

On 5/26/2015 5:59 AM, Ryan Perry wrote: > How long do you leave the van sitting at a time? So mine doesn't cut it off > completely, the clock is still correct but it certainly gets turned off. > But I also keep my aux connected to a trickle charger most every time the > van is parked. You might want to consider that. Also, you could put a > switch to the hot lead to the radio and kill it completely if you don't > want to charge the battery. Your clock would be wrong and you would lose > stuff like BlueTooth pairings. > > On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 7:34 AM Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@gmail.com> > wrote: > >> Ryan, >> I also have that GOWESTY switch installed but the aux. batteries slowly >> still get depleted over time. The switch works and the radio still has >> memory so I suspect it's getting power from the aux system. Possibly I >> should just go with it the way it is. The drain down is ever so slight. My >> Monday thought. >> >> >> Dennis Jowell >> Scotch Hollow Farm >> Newbury, Vermont >> >> >> On May 25, 2015, at 7:08 AM, Ryan Perry <rjdperry@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> GoWesty also sells a radio switch kit. I like it, lets you flip the switch >> to turn radio on with key or always on. You could probably do it yourself >> if you are smarter than me. It taps into the wiring in the steering column >> then to switch, from switch it goes to always on power and remote power. I >> put mine under the bottom lip of the dash and made it so the switch flipped >> towards steering column is on with keys, flip towards radio is always on. >> >> http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23361 >> >> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 6:23 AM Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@gmail.com> >> wrote: >> >>> Trying to figure it how to rewire the radio to be shut completely off >>> when I want it off. Add toggle switch somewhere in line ? I have the >>> GOWESTY aux. kit installed. I'll get this battery setup done somehow. >>> Thanks for any suggestions. >>> >>> Dennis Jowell >>> Scotch Hollow Farm >>> Newbury, Vermont >>> >>> >>>> On May 8, 2015, at 6:43 AM, Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM> wrote: >>>> >>>> Denis, the radio could be the culprit. I’ve seen some of these >>> new fancy radios that draw a lot of power just for the faceplate even >>> though the radio is off. It’s like your new TVs, you turn it off, but >>> really it is not off but constantly using power to keep the processors >>> alive so it does not take a long time to boot up when YOU turn it on. >>>> >>>>> On May 7, 2015, at 3:06 PM, Automatic digest processor < >>> LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote: >>>>> I'll check it out when I get back to my farm. I have a good meter. >>> Maybe >>>>> the radio pulling in the power. >>>> >>>> >>>> Cheers, >>>> >>>> Frank Condelli >>>> Almonte, Ontario, Canada >>>> '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel >>> Trains (Collection for sale <http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm>) >>>> Frank Condelli & Associates <http://www.frankcondelli.com/> - >>> Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley >>>> BusFusion <http://www.busfusion.com/> a VW Camper camping event, >>> Almonte, ON, June 04 ~07, 2015 >>>