Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 May 2015 11:31:53 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeffrey@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Awning advice

ShadyBoy for me. Easy to setup, although not as easy as a Fiamma. Much lighter than the Fiamma. No squeaking for me. Color-coding the poles is a big help especially if you don’t set it up all that often. The poles look similar to each other and it makes it much easier with color dots of paint (my method) or colored tape.

All awnings need some kind of stake down or other insurance against the wind. Never leave your camp for a hike etc with your awning up or not staked down. I stake my ShadyBoy with short lengths of nylon cord straight down to the ground (along the vertical poles) to the ground . Works great and there are no diagonal cords to trip over. With no wind, its nice to have the ShadyBoy hovering there without any vertical poles.

I just replaced my fabric - the new fabric is black inside and silver/reflective outside. Seems like better quality fabric than my previous version.

Every awning has some kind of compromise. I would probably have a Fiamma if I used my awning more - they are super easy to set up. I might have a home-made rig if I set my awning up less - dragging out all the bits and setting it up is annoying (to me). The ShadyBoy is a little fiddly to set up but somewhere in between the Fiamma and home-brew for price and convenience.

Jeff