Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2015, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 May 2015 06:11:21 -0700
From:         Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 diesel coolant tanks $99 each

So far mine is holding up well, but I'd really like to rettrofit a coolant level sensor into it. There is a reinforced boss on the top of the tank that looks like it was made for the level sensor. The sensor size & thread pitch is rather uncommon, making a tap very expensive & hard to find. My initial thought was to drill a slightly small hole and use a hot bolt of the same threading to "cut " threads into the plastic. This seems like a very good way to destroy a perfectly serviceable expansion tank, but I really don't like driving without a coolant level sensor. With the engine in the back, it's way too easy to have a hose rupture & all the coolant leak out without being noticed. Has anyone had any experience retrofitting a sesnor into the expansion tank? Or is there a source for 82 diesel expansion tanks with level sensor threaded hole cut into it? Ultimately, I may have to try to find a machine shop that has this oddball sized tap, or find a CNC mill that can cut the threads, or muck around with the octopus hose system to adapt a later model expansion tank. Has anyone had any experience with installing a coolant level sensor into an 82 diesel expansion tank?

Brett

-- Brett in Portland, OR "Albert" '82 VanaFox I4 Riviera