Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jun 2015 07:34:27 -0400
From:         Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear axle torque specs?
Comments: To: Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>

Since I started this axle-nut thread I will give and update sometime next week on what was found when the mechanic opens the rt wheel rear bearings. A reminder of why I brought the Westy in was that several months ago my Westy started a constant thump-thump on the rt rear wheel. When turning rt only about 30 mph and faster. Checked cv's out and changed them (by previous mechanic and several dollars gone) no difference or any ideas. New mechanic changed axle bearings, seals, plopped cv on passenger side only and tightened axle nut to 369 lbs. then I drove it . 300 miles later bearings hot, hot,ouch! To the touch. Here we are, next Monday back to the new mechanic to investigate problem. My point is that all the responses given are incredible information and I thank you all for that. Where else could I get such information? I forwarded the majority of the tech stuff to the mechanic hope fully he will read it. Well most of it. then I thought maybe he will never talk to me again. We will see

Thanks again for a great discussion

Laters, Dennis

Dennis Jowell Scotch Hollow Farm Newbury, Vermont