Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 2015 08:20:27 -0500
From:         Abel Longoria <houstonphotog@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: End of the list?

On the topic of the decline in traffic...

I built a Texas based photography forum back in 2004. In 2011 we had up to 30,000+ members. Tons of advertisers, tons of traffic, things couldn't be better! Then Facebook really took off... most people began spending their free time at work and at home on Facebook and then area photography groups started popping up there. Our traffic dropped like crazy. sponsors dropped. etc etc

This year I pulled the plug on the forum. Closed it down. It was too costly to operate without any financial backing... ~$400 a month.

Would I open another forum? No.

The samba and other massive niche forums survive and I'm glad to see it... I support them because i know even though they're huge they've probably had some drop off as well. It sounds like this list has also lost some steam over the recent years since as I mentioned social sites like Facebook & Instagram are taking the majority of users free time. Including my own.

As a former forum admin I don't like the Facebook group method since nothing gets indexed by google, nothing is categorized, nothing is in order etc. It's just there and free flowing. But what can ya do... Just learn to go with it since its what gets the traffic. I've learned to adapt.

I recently created a Club/Group/Gang whatever named TexasVanagons.com in order to gather up what little amount of Vanagon owners do reside here in the state. We can keep in touch with each other, sell items, help each other, plan area camp outs etc. When the time came to figure out how to communicate, starting another forum was never a legitimate option for me. I chose a Google Groups email list similar to this one and a Facebook Group. The Facebook group is pretty active and the Email list was done so that I can have members who don't have Facebook accounts (gasp! yes there are those people that do exist hehe) can still remain in contact and up to date on our outings etc.

I was told by a couple of our members "Why are you using an old fashioned email list for communication? That's a bit archaic!" my response was... "These vans we drive and love are a bit archaic as well so look at it as a "period correct" form of communication." =)

Abel Longoria TexasVanagons.com