Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 2015 12:10:06 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear axle torque specs? Rear Wheel bearings.
Comments: To: Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM>

Amazing how much banter this has generated. The rear wheel bearings are surprisingly long lived considering their size vs. load and the usual lack of maintenance. Usual life is wheel in excess of 150K. What is amazing is how normal service of even the brakes can cause these to be damaged. The usual cause of the bearings, flange hub, shaft, or spacer failure is insufficient torque of that big nut. Once any of it fails and there is any wear on the sleeve or flange hub the shaft is usually also toast and not replacing all these parts will just result in the mess going bad again. No need to measure the sleeve, damage will be evident. If there is a groove or step on either end it is garbage. Then look at the back of the flange hub. Same there. Also check the fit of the splines on the shaft. Any play or rocking? Shaft and hub garbage. Also look at where the nut sits on that hub. Wear from a loose connection will be evident.

Wheel bearing operation can be checked without taking it all a part. Bad bearings or the assembly will make noises under load. No noises! Jack up and turn by hand. You will know fi there is problem. If heat is the only concern go back to the brakes. Dragging brakes will heat the drum and some of that heat will go to the shaft and bearings. After you stop the drum will quickly cool due to the surface area and cast material. The hub and shaft will hold the heat for some time.

Dennis