Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 2015 10:20:10 -0700
From:         thewestyman <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: camped at the edge in Spain
Comments: To: mdrillock@COX.NET

Mark,

Unless you have urgent business to rush back to the Americas for, I would say to stay in Spain and drive on the coast to Portugal visiting the major places on the way. My advice is to use Rick Steves book of "Europe through the back door" that would take you places where the crowds don't go and get to know Europe the way only a few would, without the push and shove of the millions of Asian and American tourists all over, standing in line for visiting some place. But yes, Spain is taking time to see and taste well. If you miss Andalusia, Seville, Barcelona, or the Daly Museum, and especially the Daly Museum that she would love the most on the whole European trip ever, then you missed life. The world best Flamenco dancers in Seville is a must in life to see once, beside to look all the usual churches and cathedrals and romantic places, or even a once in life bull fight there in the historical arena where only a few tourist go. The Daly Museum is on the other side of Spain, just North of Barcelona, which is a really beautiful town of the World, is in Figueras where he was born. You don't have to stand in that long line, go the office there and ask for a tour guide and they will include you in a small group with an English speaking guide that would tell you all the most interesting facts about Daly's life and walk you in the center of that small town near the museum and then you would be led into the museum without standing in line at all. Just a small trick from Rick Steves book.

But yes, Italy is wonderful, only there are major long lines for every nice place in the heat of summer. Few places to park the van and almost no way to avoid to have it broken into, unless you leave it in the camp and take a bus and be on you own all day in town without having the an as an escape or lay down to rest. A good trip is best out of season when the schools are still going and the young with their parents are not there. Right now, it might still be for a week or two out of season there.

Either way, enjoy whatever you are doing and decide to visit. There is just too much for a short time to see. Enjoy each other's company in a different world and time, where you are originally from and really belong to. Only it's not practical to live there for you anymore probably.

I could write several pages but I will stop now. Its enough.

Zoltan

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Drillock Sent: Friday, June 05, 2015 12:50 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: camped at the edge in Spain

We crossed a short distance into Spain near San Sebastian. This part of the coast is rocky and mountainous since the Pyrenees end right at the Atlantic. Nestled between the shear hills are quaint little densely built towns with sandy beaches. The camping we have found is up high, overlooking the beautiful shoreline. The views are fantastic. There are lots of people camping here from all over Europe. Various hightop T3 vans are parked around us, as well as many more Eurovan T4 vans and campers. When we stopped outside one camp to check it out an aircooled 82 Westy stopped to talk to us on their way in. In it was a young couple from Holland, who had rented the Westy back home for 3 weeks and then made a beeline for Spain in just 2 days. They had racing bikes on the back and planned to spend their time cycling and hiking in the mountains.

This part of Spain is Basque country and many signs are in that language, very odd looking compared to French or Spanish. The food is great and things in general are cheaper here than France.

Anne wants to just taste Spain and then head back north into France to get over to the other side to start Italy. The way the countryside is looking I think I'd rather stay in Spain and keep heading south but that may have to be another trip someday.

Mark and Anne