Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 2015 07:00:33 -0700
From:         Richard Smith <richard_smith@GNWC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Weekend project started on Friday
Comments: To: Dick Wong <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM>

Banggood sells these dual voltmeter/usb charger things for under $20:

http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Dual-USB-Charger-Adapter-With-Voltmeter- Socket-p-940589.html

http://goo.gl/axRGNo

If you remove them from their case, they fit (almost) perfectly into the place where the cigar lighter is in the dash of the vanagon. A bit of work with a round file gets you from almost to perfect.

I have the USB charger in there now and it is very useful, a far better solution that the usual lame plug-in things and the crappy lighter socket.

I am next going to drill a similar hole right beside that, and install the volt-meter. I have some Œon-off-onı toggle switches and intend to mount one in between the two gadgets, so that I can power (and see the voltage of) from either battery AND turn them both off when necessary.

I can confirm that they draw next to no power when not in use - Iıve had them in there, unswitched, for a while. But the glow from the LEDs is non trivial in a dark camp-site, and being able to turn them off is important for that reason.

I hadnıt thought of connecting them to the Œkey in the ignitionı but thatıs an option too, if you donıt want to charge while parked.

Weirdly, banggood has the same thing, but with all three (voltmeter, USB, and socket) for less than the dual setup. Might as well get that one, save $2, and keep the socket for some future project.

http://www.banggood.com/Dual-USB-Adapter-Charger-Cigarette-Lighter-Sockets- Digital-Voltmeter-p-949446.html

http://goo.gl/Ffd6Rb

..r