Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 2015 09:21:48 -0700
From:         Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Rear axle torque specs?

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 00:44:53 -0400 Reply-To: Ed McLean <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Ed typed:

I'm a bit confused by this thread. Some one tell me if this is not a correct description of the assembly. -----big snip for brevity----

I hope this helps. Ed, --------------------

Ed,

I do't believe or feel you are one bit confused by this thread and your description is pdc (pretty darn clear).IMHO

What does stand out to this reader is your dislike of the word "pre-load" when describing bearings in the rear end of a Vanagon. Which is fair, as the bearings in the rear are not tapered like in the front of the Van. What one calls the squish that holds the things together is rather a moot point now. A guy with a Vanagon has way-too-hot bearings and is looking for some help.

Ed's use of the word "simply", multiple times, seems or sounds condescending? Which I ponder if he means this to be-so or is he attempting to simplify our understanding of the rear wheel bearings used in a Vanagon? The Re/Re of rear wheel bearings can be a daunting task for many of us on this list. For a seasoned mechanic or Journeyman/girl, a walk in the park. I do not know where Ed fits into this continuum? But, I am assured through his writing, he is not confused.

When the rear axle nut is torqued to spec and all parts from the hub and stub-axle through the wheel-bearing-housing and internal bearing parts are put under this considerable load… if this aint a pre-load; I dunno Ed, 360 ft lbs is sure more than sung and significantly greater than finger-tight? (excuse my sarcasm and hyperbole) I would prefer to use a few choice swear-words here but, the Vanagon nannies forbid such language. Forgive my digression here.

Back to deducing or ferreting out a meaning from Ed's confusion.. What was the question again Ed?

Thank-you for your clear and concise contribution to this thread Ed. I'm assured the OP will find this information helpful when dealing with the mechanics at the Shop he hired to remedy the bearing problem(s). On his rock off the West Coast

Phil Z.