Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jun 2015 09:16:05 -0700
From:         Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Rear axle torque specs?

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 10:10:01 -0700

Alistair Bell typed:

> The Bentley gives spec for the thickness of the spacer as the thickness was increased over the production run.

Yes, a thicker-walled spacer and the change to 10 slot Castle (axle) nut .

None printed in the Bentley that I'm aware? Frank posted a nominal length spacer (41.8) some 8 years ago. Currently (2015), shows a nominal length on his web page for Vanagon parts @ 42.8 mm.

> Some quick measurements from parts in my stash > Inner bearing inner race thickness = 17 mm ( that's the nominal thickness, I miked brand new bearing race at 16.95 mm) > Inner race, outer bearing thickness = 19 mm ( I miked brand new as 18.93 mm) > Spacer, one of my used spacers measures 42.80 mm > Add that up, 78.8 mm > On a used stub axle and hub, when hub installed on axle, but not pressed down by nut, just pressed on by hand, space between the surfaces that the inner bearing and the outer bearing lie against measures 76.1 mm. > To be clear, the hub is pushed down until it fetches up on the end of the splines. > So you have, nominally, 2.7 mm of room before the hub bottoms out on the end of the splines on the stub axle.

Excellent measurements Alistair. That 2.7 mm of (wiggle) room before the hub bottoms out on the end of the splines looks good enough. What do I mean by good? Did a perusal/search of the Samba site for Vanagon rear wheel bearing spacer-sleeve experiences. Many posts and opinions of Samba proportions. Through sifting/sorting of posts draw upon Christopher Schimke opinion and observation. The spacer-sleeve length need not be precise to tenths of a millimetre as the overall length of the total assembly is not overly critical in his opinion. Meaning the 2.7 mm of room Alistair measured is easily within the nominal specifications of a spacer-sleeve that is either new or has some level of wear. What would constitute too much wear? A worn/damaged spacer-sleeve that allowed a Hub to bottom out on the splines before applying the full torque to the inner bearing sleeves and the spacer-sleeve. This is what I took from the Samba posts. Hope this makes sense.

Pz