Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jun 2015 19:55:58 +0000
From:         Stuart <ve3smf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: how to cool a poptop?
Comments: To: John Dillon <johndillon@JOHNDILLON.COM>

Not sure what the other conditions are like at the site you are parked will be, and how much extra space that you have, but you may wish to consider the use of a tarp or a winged tarp sail to provide some shade relief before the direct sunlight hits the vehicle.  Once the direct sunlight hits the vehicle, there is not much you can do to control the heat transfer. When I am out for the day and it is sunny, my first choice would be to park in the shade of some larger trees.  Keep in mind where the sun is when you park, and where it will be during the hot period of the day.  The trick with any tarp or winged tarp sail is to get it high enough up, so the actual tarp does not touch the vehicle, and their is sufficient free air space so that the air/wind can get over the surface of the vehicle.  I use a screened cover on the vehicle that goes over the front windshield and the driver/passenger side windows.  I then close the curtains on the vanagon, put the pop-top up and I have a sun shade that fits on the front on the tent screen, and slopes to attach on the luggage rack.  The rear hatch door window curtain is on.  I put a screen door cover over the rear hatch door opening.  I have a small metal device that fits on the steel pin on the body frame of the rear hatch door, and that fits into the rear hatch door, that holds the rear hatch door slightly open for air flow.  The metal device prevents the rear hatch door from being opened if it is in the locked position.  This is a great device for use at night time while sleeping.  I use the Shady Boy over the side door......  If I have AC power, I clip a portable fan on the pop-top lift bar to keep air moving in the Vanagon. In the absence of trees for extra shade, I have used a large piece of military grade camouflage netting to place over the entire vehicle and use ropes and pegs to hold it down.  The advantage of the camouflage netting, is it is light scattering and passes air, so you do not have the issues of the wind blowing a tarp or a tarp sail.....  here is no trapping of hot air under the camouflage netting.  Whatever you use, it will not be cooler than the ambient temperature, but it should be cooler than a vehicle being heated by the surface heating of direct sunlight. Cheers!

on any sunny day … walk into a parking lot and put your hand on a whitish or light coloured car and a black or dark coloured car … and see the difference … its way way more than 2 or 3 degrees ..