Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 2015 08:42:29 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning pop top flocking?-a post treatment that works
Comments: To: jpalmer@MYMTS.NET

After you use your method of choice treat it with this mold inhibitor: http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-32-oz-Clear-Shell-Mold-and-Mildew-Inhibitor-Z UCSM32/202711568

It's non-toxic (made from crab shells) and has worked for me for two years in the (formerly) rainy Pacific Northwest. I'll treat it again this year. With no treatment my top grew mold the winter after I spent hours cleaning it and had to do it all again.

I just cleaned my son's '87, but the top is off, and a soak in bleach (Tilex is bleach BTW) followed by a safe biodegradable cleaner it's like new. With the top installed I've use straight bleach in a spray bottle several times in the past, but I use a respirator and facemask with the entire interior masked off with painter's plastic, including the canvas. I then use a home rug/upholstery cleaning machine to spray and suck off rinse water.

And yes, as Alistair mentioned, the flocking is tough but it can start coming off with age, and it does prevent the condensation drip because it absorbs moisture. And that's why it grows mold. Go Westy scrapes it out and installs headlining material in the rigs they sell.

Stuart