Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Jun 2015 19:45:17 -0700
From:         John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Look what came out of the fuel tank
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Thanks, Yes that's sound reasoning, eg if pieces are coming loose on the inside it might be a sign of more to come ?

I do usually error on the side of just replacing with a new part, however I'm always keenly aware that what i might get for a new part *could be worse than the original factory piece.

Not sure when it comes to the after market fuel tanks what to avoid though. Looks like several people have used this one: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1178_1457/fuel-gas-tank.html

-john

On 6/14/2015 7:27 PM, mcneely4@cox.net wrote: > I am not a wonk, and I have replaced only one tank (actually had it replaced, but Darrell Cook who did my Vanagon work in Oklahoma used my assistance from time to time, and reflected it in his low prices (but excellent work).. I do see some rust on that piece, not a bunch. But it had to come loose for a reason. I would not want a fuel tank that is falling apart inside on my vehicle. Just my thoughts. mcneely > > ---- John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU> wrote: >> I dropped my fuel tank to do the re-seal procedure, and while the tank >> seems like it IS in good condition, NO rust or flaking on the outside >> nor inside, NOR does the tank appear to leak, other than the classic >> drip when topped off. >> >> I did hear something rattling around inside however. I ended up removing >> what looks like a piece that might have been part of a baffling system >> that came free ? I'm not sure but it does NOT appear to be critical. >> >> So my question to all you wonks, that have seen and replaced many a Fuel >> Tank, given what I've said about the tank's condition: Is this loose >> piece that came out good enough reason to replace the tank altogether ? >> >> Here are a couple of pictures, of the tank and the piece that came out.: >> >> http://medusa.education.ucsb.edu/~john/vanagon/ >> <http://medusa.education.ucsb.edu/%7Ejohn/vanagon/vanagon-fuel-tank.jpg> >> >> Thanks for any advice. >> >> -john > -- > David McNeely > >