Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 2015 00:48:56 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Funky temp gauge - update
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@mymts.net>

At 11:49 PM 6/7/2015, Jeff Palmer wrote: >Haha you are clearly smarter than me and >unfortunately smarter than my mechanic too :)

Unfortunately it's possible.

>The reason I got the new VR last year was >because at approximately the same time my gas >gauge would only go to about 95% full even when >the tank was full, and the temp gauge began to >normally read just a smidgen below normal (generally ran at the LED level).

That's a reasonable indication, but a couple minutes with a voltmeter will nail it and tell you if it's bad regulator, baad panel supply, bad panel ground -- no, sorry; panel ground affects the blinker but not either of the gauges proper.

>The LED light was always finicky ever since I >bought the van 20 years ago. When it was humid, >it would flash for extended periods. Sometimes >if I let it flash for five seconds before >starting it would stop flashing. When dry it was fine.

Yes, the internal capacitor is leaky and eventually it will never stop flashing; because it always flashes at power-on. It's supposed to continue for two or three seconds any time it starts.

>Then last fall it kept flashing and wouldn’t >stop. Not long after the temp needle began to peg immediately at startup.

Too far away now to know what "immediately at startup" means. As I said, a literally second-by-second description is needed to distinguish between gauge behavior and controller behavior. The light and the gauge are completely independent of each other. One heats up more when more current flows through it, and the other monitors the voltage at the sender terminal and starts flashing when the voltage falls below a certain point. The light will start to flash any time the sender line is looking at 35 ohms or less to ground. 35 ohms is also the value that should put the gauge right on the edge of overheat.

I'm guessing you have a 1.9l van and that your level controller is tall, not cubical, is that correct?

Once again, describe minutely the behavior of blinker and gauge starting when you turn the key on from cold.