Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jun 2015 02:21:41 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Westy A/C compressor doesn't turn
Comments: To: Raymond Markett <raym02@yahoo.com>

The idle-up is coming off the same wire that activates the compressor clutch. Bad connections to or from clutch or the clutch is toast.

At 06:24 PM 6/14/2015, Raymond Markett wrote: >David, > >Using your advice I checked the fuses. None where blown, but some >had oxidized contacts. I clean and/or replaced the contacts and >fuses. Now when she's warmed up I get and increase in idle speed and >radiator fan speed when I crank up the A/C. Still no action at the >compressor. I would expect it to cycle occasionally even if the >refrigerant is low, but I don't know if that is how it's designed. >I plan to check voltage at the compressor, and try to determine if >there is enough refrigerant in the system to keep the pressure >switches happy. Ironically, the afternoon heat is making me call it >a day but I plan to get back to it next week. Any additional advice >would be appreciated. > >Thanks, > >Raymond > >Sent from my iPhone > > > On Jun 13, 2015, at 10:31 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> wrote: > > > > Schematic for '84/5 is on 97.137-8. It refers to S7 and S10, both of > > which are located on 97.66 for the '85. S7 is the radiator fan fuse > > and the A/C page wiring replaces that on 97.66. S10 comes from the > > load reduction relay so that power to the A/C control system is only > > available when ignition is on and not cranking. > > > > Blowers running means S10, S15, Evap blower relay, input side of evap > > fan switch are all good. Turning evap fan switch on powers the A/C > > thermostat and *also* activates the radiator/condensor cooling fan > > relay, operating the radiator fan on high speed through S14. When > > the thermostat is closed it feeds the normally-closed compressor > > cut-out relay and thence the compressor clutch and idle-up > > switch. The radiator fan is already running at high speed, but if > > the radiator thermo-switch should call for high fan, the compressor > > cut-out relay will activate and dump the compressor. > > > > Yours, > > David > > > > At 03:31 PM 6/13/2015, Raymond Markett wrote: > >> Hi All, > >> > >> The A/C compressor on my 1985 Westy doesn't turn. The compressor > >> clutch doesn't even attempt to engage. The blower in the A/C > >> cabinet runs, but that seems to be it. I don't hear any change in > >> the radiator fan when the A/C is turned on. I looked in the Bentley > >> but the A/C section covers 1986 and later. > >> > >> Is anyone out there familiar with the 1985 A/C system, or have the > >> electrical and mechanical manual? > >> > >> I'm trying to find out where the fuses, relays, etc. are located for > >> the 1985 year. I see the 1986 has some electrics in the D pillar > >> behind the cabinet. Does the 1985 have the same arrangement? If so, > >> are there any external test points where one could use a volt/ohm > >> meter to test the hidden electrics before dismantling the cabinets > >> to gain access? > >> > >> Thanks, > >> > >> Raymond > >> > >> Sent from my iPhone