Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:15:13 -0700
From:         Dick Wong <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Low Brake Pedal, Caliper Piston Movement.
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

My 'pump up" brake pedal ended up being a failing seal within the master cylinder.

One day there was a puddle on the floor mat. I pulled the dash cluster and looked on the bottom side of the master and brake fluid was dribbling out of the weep hole. Pedal action the same when it started leaking.

After replacing the master, the pedal was not any higher than the position after "pumping up", but at least it doesn't need to be pumped up anymore and low on the first stroke.

Good Luck.

-Dick Wong- 78 Scirocco Original Owner 87 Vanagon GL Syncro 2.5 (Blaze) Third Owner 12 Golf TDI Original Co-Owner

Hi all.

If maladjusted brake shows are causing a low pedal (it pumps up), does this initial low pedal give caliper pistons less to "push against"? i.e. does this negatively affect the calipers ability to sufficiently push the pads against the rotors?

I recently re-read and followed Dennis Haynes "how to" on rear brake adjustment. This has been enlightening; I now have a better e-brake and had great success getting the lower pins free. But....

Even with new spring loaded type ATE wheel cylinders, correctly assembled parts, I still find that it takes several applications of brakes to get pedal height up. Once this happens, I can hear the pads rub on the rotors. I will double check shoe adjustment but have to wonder why after setting shoes so they drag slightly, the pedal height gets low after brakes are un-used for a period of time.

e-brake was adjusted drums off, after shoe adjustment. I heard the adjuster clicking. (both i hope) There's no gap between levers and cables, cables are ok.

Thanks,

Neil.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>