Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jun 2015 16:41:01 +0000
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: camping in Europe
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

With internet on a smartphone, tablet or PC it is handy to have one of the RV parking/camping finder apps.In Europe I use RV parking finder (It is free on the Android google play store). It is a general app so it can connect to many databases (as opposed to many other pay-for or free apps that come with only their own database.) The two databases I prefer (select from "Choose PIO database" menu) are: In Germany "Stellplatzfuerer.de" and in France "Campingcar-infos France". These list mainly small places that you won't find in guidebooks or the (advertizement revenue based) free glossy camping guides. Typing "camping" in the google maps search box is a good way to find (mainly commercial) campgrounds. (Remember to type "camping" in Europe. "campground" only works in North America.) The above app also has a map based search, and with that you can access the smaller places in a way similar to google maps. Camping comes in many flavours in Europe.1. The big commercial campgrounds, e.g. on the waterfront in Italy and Croatia: The ones with lots of Germans are generally well maintained and quiet. Many of them are HUGE with thousands of tightly packed spots. We only use them in the off season when they are not too crowded. 2. Municipal campgrounds (Mainly in Sweden and Italy) Here you find the locals. May be less well maintained and sometimes noisier. Especially if there is a sportsgame, drinking or both going on. 3. Small campgrounds. Some rural inns or pensions will allow a few campers if they have suitable area. 4. "Stellplatz" (Germany or "Aires" (France): Usually a piece of public land that may ot may not have services. Some are free. Some have a moderate fee. For example a field near a public beach where you can use the coin operaqted toilets and showers if available at the beach. Here is an example of one we found on the Baltic sea: http://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/Pictures/1406GerSwedenSelect/IMG_20140603_204641_sm.JPG There were just a few other campers, and the fee was Eur 8 put in a machine. It is a good idea to have coins for this (and for public toilets, showers etc.). Laundromats can be difficult to find outside commercial campgrounds. 5. Any legal parking spot. Yes in most countries in Europe it is legal to sleep in a parked vehicle (except Croatia - police will fine you if the see you). By you cannot legally camp. The Italian definitiaon of parked: Nothing can be outside the vehicle, or protrude outside. So awning has to be fully retracted, no chairs outside etc. http://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/Pictures/1406GerSwedenSelect/IMG_20140606_184117_sm.JPG Here is an example of a popular overnight parking spot in Sweden. 6. Informal  overnight parking/camping in rural areas. In non-tourist areas there may be few designated areas for overnight parking or camping. In rural inland Italy, France, Sweden and Germany we would often just stay overnight in a pull off on a small road where we would expect it to be quiet. Martin ('82 Westy 1.9TD in Canada, '85 Westy 1.9l gas in Europe)