Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:53:52 -0700
From:         thewestyman <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: New windshield

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I am in the Seattle area. Zoltan

-----Original Message----- From: thewestyman Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 6:04 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: New windshield

I replace Vanagon glass regularly here at my place for $180. Just give me a call ahead of time to order it and when it comes in I'll call you and come over anytime, even weekends and evenings. Zoltan

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Felder Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 1:40 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: New windshield

Mine was done at Glass America, a chain like safelite. I think the challenge is finding someone who would do the job with your glass, not theirs. I don't think the problem is guys knowing how to install it. I could be wrong, but it seems any glass installer over 30 knows how to do rubber channel.

I called around a few years back when I visited safelite for a Jetta glass replacement. I asked about the vanagon and they told me they couldn't get that glass. I called one or two other places and they wanted either a ridiculous amount or said they couldn't get the glass. I live in a town of about 200,000 and there is every kind of service chain there is anywhere else, so I figured that was just the way it was. I ordered the glass from Rock Auto, it was just over $100 shipped.It arrive broken all over. I did the online return thing with them, they immediately shipped another no questions asked. This time it came in one piece with a quarter mile of bubble wrap.

The place I found to install it is the one I got in touch with before I ordered it. I got their agreement to install for $100, which they lived up to today, even taking care of a little rust thrown in. Be advised that all shops I have ever known of say that if you provide the glass, we are not responsible if it breaks.

So I got the job done for $200 flat, maybe a little more with shipping from Rock Auto (a ridiculous $17 or so to ship a windshield across the country?) and am very pleased with the results.

Since I discussed the windshield order from Rock Auto a while back I have heard from list members in smaller and lager communities who have paid less than $150 for the glass and the install, with the local company providing the glass. So, bottom line, there is no rhyme nor reason. I did it the best way I knew of at the time and after doing so would not mess with used glass again ever. Been there and broke that.

I have done rear and side glass by myself and with my wife helping me. There was no way I was going to take a chance with a Vanagon windshield.

Jim