Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:22:36 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery Woahs Part II

Jeremy

>> ..... I took some advice and bought 3 wheelchair batteries and linked >> in a series, so I have 12v and 66amps.

Along with Jim's comment, unless each battery is 4 Volts, you must mean that you've wired them in parallel. e.g. like this:

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a440/klicky96/2x12VoltinParallel_zps4a2a43ba.gif

>> However, all done, and seemed correct, went over and tinkered with the >> starter battery for a bit. Went back to the aux and noticed my isolator >> was not isolating. How do I know! I have a Yandina combined/isolator that >> has a light go on when combined.

Was the engine running? Shouldn't the Yandina combine the batteries when the engine is running?

>> Here are some anomalies that occurred which may or may not have affected >> this. >> >> 1. While connecting all the wires back to the batteries, which was quite >> difficult, I may have touch a ground or something because I heard a click >> or pop come from the fuse box.

Maybe there's a load at dash that comes on when you supply power to it? (connect aux. batteries)

>> I looked, but did not see anything obvious >> and did not pull every fuse to see what shorted. I figured I would wait to >> see what would not work. Everything seemed to work ( but not sure if the >> power was coming from aux or house or both)

I would suggest that you check all fuses first. Do you have two aux. battery systems?

>> 2. I was going to pull out the house battery and because of the tight fit, >> I hit the metal frame of the box and there were a lot of sparks, and even >> scarred my wrench. I aborted pulling the house battery, but all >> accessories still worked.

Assuming you accidentally connected ("hit") the battery + to the vehicle frame, what happened makes sense; there would've been no fuse between that + post and vehicle frame.

Neil.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>