Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jul 2015 12:12:01 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: sharing an incident
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM>

the proper way to check a typical fuse is ...

energize the circuit .. test for 12 volts on both ends of the fuse.

if it's only on one end...fuse is obviously not conducting.

also ..the traditional 'older VW ' style ceramic fuse .. I always give those a little twist ..to help seat the ends.

I recently had one in an 85 Mercedes ( 16 amp for the heater fan ) and ..it looked fine.. but it was corroded and deteriorating on one end.

my all time favorite.. I see a guy at a FLAPS with hood up on a 300D Benz ( with big wing on the truck ) .. well gotta check that out.

he's got no high beams. removing the fuse box cover reveals green corrosion.

Don't try this at home.. and people might really criticize what I did but it worked perfectly..

with the circuit energized I sprayed WD-40 on the affected fuse .. there's a puff of smoke..and bingo..the high beams are working;.

those ceramic type fuses are just weak. they have far more contact problems than actually blowing.

On 7/4/2015 8:47 AM, Dan N wrote: > I am installing a Hella twin horns on my van > > I got a harness with relay from Jay Brown and install everything using the > instruction... easy... > > but then when finished the horn didn't work ! ! > > so... > > - I visual check for the fuse -> looking good > > - I check for the 12V+ on the stock pos. wire -> nothing > > - I visual check for the fuse again -> it looks OK, visually > > - I amp. meter check the fuse -> nothing > > weird... > > - so I take out the fuse (#16) and put in a new one > > - I check for the 12V+ on the stock pos. wire again -> I got 12.5V > > and hooraaay ... it's working... I have horn now... ! ! ! > > so lesson learned.... > > a good looking fuse doesn't mean a GOOD fuse! ! !... aaargh... > > who can imagine that.... aaargh made in China ! ! ! > > this incident scares the heck out of me... > > what will happen if the fuse of the fuel pump for ex. - or any critical > fuse - is blown but still *"looking good"*? > > even a mechanic will spend a day to trouble shoot and throw a lot parts on > it... > > next time if you do something with electrical check the fuse... better yet > put in a new one... they are cheap and they wear out too... >