Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:05:01 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Batteries and solar panels!
Comments: To: pbrattan@gmail.com

you're welcome Patty. I'd be curious how having two or more batteries wired together full time affects how one or both receives a charge. i.e. with one at 80%, the other at 30%, I'd assume the charge time would be greatly increased, depending on the output of the charger. But..... IF one were dead, unchargable, or near so, would that battery be such a huge load that it impedes flow of charger to the good battery? I can't say for sure. Details on that are beyond my knowledge base.

Bottom line: disconnect each battery, inspect, measure, charge each as needed for now.

If your Dometic fridge is wired OEM, it should not operate off the battery no matter what. On the other hand, it could've been modified to run off a charge converter and-or wired to run off a given battery, engine off.

Battery sizing has been discussed at length here but as one example....

My TF49 12V truckfridge, will easily last overnight on a ~ 100 Amp hour battery. But if it's cloudy, or no sun (I have a solar panel), I **might** get 2 days out of that battery. More like 36 hours at best in high ambient temps.

For me, I'd use a battery switch to connect or disconnect the batteries from each other. Connect them for charging while driving, (fridge running too) disconnect them while in camp so I don't draw down the starter battery. I'm not sure if there's a switch that would do this AND disconnect all batteries from the vehicle wiring (in event of major short)

Neil.

On 7/4/15, PB <pbrattan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, stock. Thanks for that explanation, Neil. I didn't realize a bad aux > battery would affect the engine battery. It's been plugged into electrical > for the past 3 (hot) days so I could see fridge temps throughout the day, > although, AGAIN, I don't know if I hit the wrong switch on the fridge panel > and chose 12 volt instead of 120. (I'm going to put stickers in English on > the fridge panel to avoid a repeat!) > > A 12 volt fridge is on my wish list, to be powered by solar panels. Also, > would like all house lights to be powered by aux battery. That's why I'm > asking about batteries now. Don't want to learn later down the line that I > should have gotten a different battery. > > Aux battery switch sounds like a great idea. So if it had an aux battery > switch, I would have switched off the aux battery and just used electrical > power from the cable? (I'm somewhat a dork regarding electrical info, but > I think I understood this idea!) > Patti > >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>