Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:17:22 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Batteries and solar panels!

My 84 vanagon I think works pretty well the way I have it wired up for the aux. battery. I do not use the 12v fridge, but I do spend long periods of time "off the grid" and I do have stuff that takes electrons...Lap top, phones, lights, Sirus sat radio, music radio..emergency-only use to charge tools, etc. My set up is pretty simple and it's been good now for about 4-5 years...

Two group 41s (if that is what a stock battery is) batteries from NAPA...because every small town in the US has a couple of NAPA stores, most are locally owned...and they have a good battery warrantee/guarantee... The starter battery is connected to the aux battery through one of those big cannister relays that are standard stuff for American cars and trucks that have the tow-package..The relay (any NAPA store has these, I think) is mounted under the drivers seat, as is the aux battery..which fits in there perfectly...When the relay activates it give an audible 'click' or 'clunk'....So you know for sure it has done connected the two together..... I powered this big dependable relay (I've had them in many pickup trucks with campers, and American conversion vans, never had one ever fail) from the X-relay under the dash...or any other source that is only hot after the van is running...So when you are starting the van you are using the isolated starter battery only. All my electrical aux stuff is wire to a fuise panel inside the cab. under the sink, right on the other side of the aux battery box under the driver's seat and it runs without the motor on...the relay is not hot until the motor is on.......I also put a lighted toggle switch just under the front of the drivers seat in the power lead to the relay....so if I've run the aux battery waay down....I can switch the whole aux system out of the charging system until I know I'll be driving for long enough to charge both batteries...I've been told if you have two batteries connected and one is almost dead...they 'equalize'...I try to keep my starter battery in perfect shape...the Aux battery gets abused.....When it dies, I get another and swap the starter battery over to the Aux side and begin again.... If I want to assure myself that the relay is working, I just flip that little toggle switch (the activator of that relay) and I hear a nice big 'clunk-clunk'...off-on-off...I usually just leave the relay activated all the time....remember, it's off until the engine is running and then it's on, connecting the aux battery to the starting battery and the alternator.......I can check also by looking at the lighted toggle switch...

The power comes from the starter battery and goes right though the relay when it's 'on'...they are designed that way...I did all this on my own because I added some of a Westie interior to my tin top...I also put a fusable link on either end of the wire that takes the voltage across the chassis just behind the gas tank....for safety.....