Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Jul 2015 01:54:52 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Low Brake Pedal, Caliper Piston Movement.
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Properly set up the rear brakes should not be adjusted to "drag". A little rub just to get new stuff seated may be OK but when released they should be completely free. Having them rub can be problematic during a long trip or after heavy stopping. The shoes can heat up and expand causing the drag to get even worse and the cycle will continue until the brakes lock up and at that point the cylinders, shoes, and drums will be damaged.

Another possibility for a low pedal is the brake booster. Try pumping the brakes with the engine off. If the pedal is hard then the hydraulics are OK. Push on the pedal and ten start the engine. The pedal should pull down slightly, about an inch or so. It is possible the "stop" you are feeling is the limit in the brake booster.

Keep in mind that new shoes and even pads will give a softer pedal until they really get seated. If you didn't replace or re-surface the rotors they may never seat properly. As hard as front pads seem new they compress more than worn ones and until you get the transfer film set up on the rotors they won't make the same friction. Drum brakes take longer.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: "Neil N" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 4, 2015 3:24 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Low Brake Pedal, Caliper Piston Movement.

So I stopped by my sweat shop yesterday (garage on hot day) and checked-readjusted rear brakes several times. 1 Wheel required a *minor* adjustment. Contrary to my earlier post, my adjustment method: check, adjust, check, adjust (several times), push brake pedal several times engine off and on then do a final recheck. (I now understand that even if the wheel cylinder pistons are held out by internal spring, they simply get held out to the shoe position as established by adjuster bar and stronger return springs) At this point, 1 click of adjuster wheel up/down will cause wheel to noticeably slow or let brake shoes drag slightly. They are set to "drag slightly". Turning wheel by hand, I can feel a noticeable difference between these two settings. Settings remained the same after brief road test. With e-brake set, wheels off ground, I can final torque wheels. E-brake was checked with drums off.

Initially, the pedal felt as it usually did; pushing super hard, I could hear and feel it bottom out as it. Slamming on brakes at ~ 20 MPH, fronts lock leaving an equal skid patch. No marks from rear tires. I didn't note if pedal went to floor but it certainly had enough pressure to make brakes work. Driving bus around, pedal height increased but I assume it may or may not decrease after sitting unused. The odd part is that when pedal is higher, coasting to a stop in neutral, I swear the sound of the shoes and/or pads rubbing, is louder. (at idle, engine is quieter than stock)

Contrary to my past history, I'm loath to throw parts at this but will replace brake master cylinder..... again. I have a good near new spare (1000 miles?) I'm tempted to use for experimental purposes but will likely opt for the van-cafe "German" part. I'll contact them to see if it's in fact made in Germany. I have a spare pressure equalizer from my '85 but it may not work given angles involved, mount holes. Image: http://tinyurl.com/pvn5lea OEM part as installed, lower LH: http://tinyurl.com/okjlqwj

The bus is driveable as-is but I feel it can be improved.

Neil.

On 6/27/15, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll adjust the shoes again and report back.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>