Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jul 2015 20:49:21 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finding the PERFECT starter battery!
Comments: To: "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

A true group 48 is taller than the group 41 or 42. About 9/16" or 14mm. It will not fit in the stock under seat battery compartments. Especially the sealed Westy box. There are some labeled as 48 but are the 41 dimensions!

The group 41 is the battery that belongs and is very common in VW and Audi products. Get a battery strap. The type that attach and lock onto the posts. For the campers, slide the seal all the way and rotate the base 180 degrees. With the strap the battery will easily lift out and can be easily installed. When shopping look for a battery that does not have the attached handle. Exide! That makes it easier. Be careful if you must use pliers, channels locks, vice grips etc. to remove and install the battery. The bending force can damage the post connection inside and if you short something out that arc flash and welded mess can be quite injurious. If you're lucky the resulting explosion may only leave you blinded. Things can get even worse when a battery goes up. Be sure the battery cables are installed properly and the plastic cover goes over the positive terminal before closing the lid. As for correct assembly, 87 and later the screw for the two red wires gets installed with the head underneath. Many place it on top for convienience. The head is now too tall and it can work through the plastic cover or if the cover is left off it can short out on the metal cover.

Seen it!

Dennis