Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 2015 09:40:23 -0700
From:         Tyler Hardison <tyler@SERAPH-NET.NET>
Subject:      Throttle Body - High Idle - (Dare I say?) Issue Resolved! (85
              1.9l)

While I cannot say that my experience would be the same as everyone else's if they followed what I did; I can say that my high wandering idle is gone and the van is happy.

So, in another thread, I "me too'd" another thread where Steve Williams noted that he was unable to get the van to idle down after warmup. I cannot find any follow up as to if he was able to resolve the issue, so I'm relaying my experience in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future.

Last Sunday while I was replacing the fuel lines, I decided to go ahead and remove the throttle body to get a closer look at my unit and to give it thorough cleaning.

Upon removal I could not detect *any* play in the butterfly valve or shaft. Previously I was told to "pull up and down" to detect play. I also wiggled in other directions and even reached in the throttle body to see if the butterfly valve itself was loose. I'm happy to report that I could not detect any worthwhile play in the multiple manipulations of the unit. *(Note, that if you're at this point and you do have play, you probably should stop here what I've done after this won't help that).*

Ok, wonderful! I won't have to ship it off to be remanufactured! (1.9l throttle bodies are almost nonexistent)

Tools needed: * Flat head screw drivers (one large for idle screw, one small for careful compression washer plying) * Carb dip, comes in a can, costs about $30. Alternatively you can use carb cleaner but this can get messy. * Shop rags for wiping and drying. * A relatively clean workspace in case you drop a small part. * A timing light with a tachometer. Not critical if you have a friend or a shop that can set your idle.

Parts you should have: * A new throttle body gasket (it's cone shaped). * Assorted rubber rings in case the idle screw seal is damaged. * A short piece of vacuum line.

TB: Throttle Body.

I'm assuming that you've already removed the TB (this is easy). This is just something I did, and I cannot be responsible for your unique situation. No warranty, YMMV, etc. The key thing to "being mechanical" is to be observant. Observe the position of the idle screw, observe the position of the throttle cable. Heck, take a picture, draw a picture, have your friend with the photographic memory handy. When you're reassembling later, these observations will make you a pro.

So I disassembled all of the parts that were rubber or plastic. That means:

1. Remove the idle switch (1.9l there is just one). This is done by carefully plying the compression washer free where the cam that activates the switch sets. I'll refer to this as the "main shaft". 2. Slide off the cam (it will take some wiggling and possibly *GENTLE* plying). 3. Remove the set screw that is holding the switch in. Do this with the TB right side up and *hold the switch in place.* Now turn it over. 4. Carefully slide the switch off. There is a concentric cam that is for adjustment of the idle switch. It is tiny and lost easily. If you have the TB upside down and are lifting the switch off, it should stay on the TB. If you don't see it, your TB is dirty and it's stuck to the switch. Carefully turn the switch plate over and locate it. Set it in the parts basket for the carb dip, or put it someplace safe. *If you lose this part.. I don't even know what to do.. FIND IT.* 5. Set the plastic parts of the switch behind, carb dip and rubber/plastic/anything not metal do not mix. Best case, you just scar the plastic and make it brittle. Worst case you got some carb dip from the 70s and the plastic has disappeared. 6. Turn the unit back over and remove the idle screw. It is fine threaded so expect a few turns. Observe the number of threads visible, and the position of the screw. This will not be an exact science, but will put you into a good starting position for later. 7. Inspect the rubber gasket (ring). If it is not supple, as in its dry, cracking, etc. Remove it and replace it later. I buy these things in assorted bulk from hardware stores and always seem to have the right size. If it looks fine, set it aside and *DO NOT SOAK IT. *You can hand clean this part later. 8. Inspect the TB. Look at the vacuum port, does air pass easily through it? The throttle plate and "throat" are they clean? (Mine was a mess). 9. Drop the screws you removed, and other pieces you want to clean into the basket and lower it into the dip. In my case I had to run some steel wire around the TB. It was too large for the basket and fishing in carb dip is not fun. All covered? Is the smell bothering you? Go get some fresh air.

In my case, at this point, I went back to do the fuel lines on the bus. ( http://www.vanagon.org/fuel-line-replacement/) Which took me a few hours as I was being anal and inspecting everything I could along the way. I also took the time to clean around the area where the TB sits.

.... and now we're back to the TB.

1. Have something to set the wet parts into. (Wife's cake pan?) Kidding.. (Did I mention that I am not responsible for divorce either?) I have an old litter box from a long gone critter. 2. Inspect the parts. In my case it came up completely clean. Use your shop rags to wipe off each part. Use your short piece of vacuum line to blow out the vacuum port. 3. I used a tiny bit of water to wash out the throat. A plastic spray bottle is neat. 4. You might still have some gunk in some places. I used carb cleaner and a rag to get at these. The important part is that you get all of the carb dip out of the unit. It is a solvent and I don't want that in my engine. 5. Clean the idle switch and related parts up. Again, Seafoam and a rag. 6. Clean the idle screw up. I used a little bit of Seafoam on a rag and worked off the gunk. 7. All clean? All dry? Let's go! 8. Look at all of the parts! Start off by replace the concentric adjustment cam back into it's home. 9. Slide the switch into position, you might have to wiggle the cam around to get it into position. Don't worry, we'll adjust this later. 10. Replace the cam on the main shaft (it should be obvious on the direction, the cam points toward the switch). 11. Gently tap the cam into place.. Again tight fit. 12. Flatten the compression washer ever so slightly and push it back down to hold the cam in place. 13. Hold the switch in place, and turn the TB back over. set the set screw into place but do not fully tighten it. At this point I adjusted the switch on the bench according to the Bentley. Feeler gauge and all. I found it MUCH easier when it was sitting in the vice to do so. 14. Screw in the idle screw. Refer back to your picture of it's position before. The important part is the depth and final position of the screw head. 15. Inspect the assembled unit. I checked for play again. Still good! 16. Carefully install back into the bus with the new gasket. 17. Reinstall your air cleaner, etc.

At this point I primed the fuel system and started checking for leaks from the fuel lines. I cycled the pump about 12 times to ensure that things are not going to explode.

Funny moment for me here, I had removed the coil wire because it annoyed me. My first turn over resulted in nothing, and I had that panicked pit of your stomach oh no what did I do.

Reinstalled the coil wire, and fired up the beast. I had turned my idle screw too far in and it wouldn't idle after start.

I opened up the idle air screw a bit and boom.. idling.. (a bit low, but idling) Powered off.

Hooked up the timing light and tach.. Bypassed the idle control unit, and started her up.

At this point, you have to wait for the bus to reach operating temperature (according to the Bentley) before checking timing/idle. So I got a cold one and just wandered around looking for any signs of fuel leaks.

Checked the timing: Good. Set the idle: ~950 Check

Waited.. Still idling normally, so sign of a rising idle.

Closed up engine and went for a drive.

Idles like she's supposed to now!

Ok, so what gives.. Why was this an issue? How could a cleaning resolve this.

Two things that I believe were at the core of the issue:

1. The idle air screw was pretty gunky and dirty. I mean the thickness of my bladed screw driver type of gunk. The idle was set with that in place.. So.. not accurate. (Previously when I set the idle it was VERY difficult to hit that ~950 number) 2. The TB's gasket was flat and doubtful that it was making full contact around the circumference which also added uncontrolled air into the mix.

Other "new" behaviors that the van has now:

1. Morning idle is what I expect it to be. Around ~1200 Rpm for a short period then it idles down to normal idle. Before it would sometimes die or just be "off" until warmup. 2. Returning to "idle" state when coming to a stop seems smooth. 3. That midpoint between "fully warmed up" and "fully cooled down" no longer feels like the van is struggling to get up to speed on acceleration. The power curve seems consistent despite the van's current operating temperature.

Whew, sorry for the long article, but hopefully this will help someone else.

-t