Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jul 2015 12:41:34 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finding the PERFECT starter battery! (UPDATE!)
Comments: To: PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>

sure sounds like a lot of hassle. All I have done for YEARS is ask for a battery for an 82 Diesel Vanagon ....it's even an US model !

a 48 is what they give me.

that is a VERY 'traditional' VW Battery .. it's not tall... the terminals are in the right places... it fits they come with provision for the positive terminal cover . plus it's more CCA's than a 41.

like what's not to like ??? gettin' overly complicated seems to me.

On 7/8/2015 7:23 AM, PB wrote: > David, > Thinking that I was getting an exact replacement for my discharged battery, > I went online and looked for a group 41 battery. When I saw that it was a > Bosch, and the photo provided actually LOOKED like my battery, except that > there was no sticker, and the terminal cover was not there - no big deal - > just reuse the old one...I didn't ask them anything. The store is > basically staffed with kids. The manager, also young, is usually the only > one who knows anything. I just showed them the description from their > website. I didn't go through, "What is the make and model of your > vehicle,etc., etc." I just now looked it up on their website, and after > putting all of the requested info for batteries, it came up with this > product <http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9652149/00854>, which is > not even a battery!!! I will go to my battery place and see what they have > to say about this situation. > Patti > > On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM, <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > >> Patti, your old battery appears identical to mine, which I bought at Pep >> Boys 4 years ago. If it has the nipples for vent hose attachment, it IS >> identical to mine, including the strap. Pep Boys also sells the vent hoses >> in case a PO removed them from your compartment. >> >> The new battery, as you observed, does not have the cover for the positive >> post. That is a dangerous situation, and since you observed that the lid >> contacts the post, it is simply not an acceptable battery for your van. >> Even with the post cover, I still cover the battery with a rubber sheet to >> prevent contact with the metal lid. I know that folks say that there is >> a rubber lining on the lid, but mine does not have one, just bare metal. >> There is a foam gasket around the edge, but no rubber liner. >> >> >> I am disappointed to learn this, because I thought that when I came to >> need a new battery, I could go back to Pep Boys. Are you certain that the >> one they provided you is the one listed for the van, or is it one that they >> had in stock, and thought would fit? Such things happen. Does it have the >> foot for the factory bracket? If you look at the base of your old battery, >> it has a foot molded on the bottom that has a slot where one end of the >> factory bracket (clamp) fits, or at least mine does. This is a very secure >> way of holding the battery in place. Batteries without it really need to >> be shimmed with blocks of wood or some non-conducting material so that they >> do not move around in the compartment. >> >> mcneely >> >> ---- PB <pbrattan@gmail.com> wrote: >>> When I opened my battery compartment, it looked like I already HAD the >> perfect >>> battery >>> < >> http://s74.photobucket.com/user/edtech2000/media/2015-07-07%2018.58.35.jpg.html >>> ! >>> It already had a strap and a terminal cover, so I went to Pep Boys to >> swap >>> it out for a new one. The new battery they brought out was a group 41 >>> Bosch, but NOT THE SAME BATTERY!!! The new one was slightly taller and >>> narrower from side to side than the old one. We did decide that >> including >>> the height of the strap on the old one, they were both actually the same >>> height. However, this new one didn't have a strap or a terminal cover. >>> Pep Boys claimed that my old battery >>> < >> http://s74.photobucket.com/user/edtech2000/media/2015-07-07%2018.58.35.jpg.html >>> was discontinued and replaced with this new model >>> < >> http://static.pepboys.com/images/productImages/56564100/BOSCH-BATTERY-41-675B-TOP.jpg >>> , >>> which ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THIS PHOTO, so I decided to keep my >>> core until I was sure of the fit. >>> >>> My husband, who was helping me with the install, fashioned a way to lower >>> the battery into the compartment by using some ratchet straps that I >>> already had. Once the battery was in the compartment, the bolt on the >>> positive battery terminal connector stuck up high enough to prevent the >>> compartment lid from closing properly. Since it was already dark when we >>> discovered this, I decided to wait until tomorrow to check this local >> place >>> that specializes in batteries of all sizes and shapes >>> <http://www.batterypower-inc.com/home.nxg>. In fact, "Battery Power" >> has >>> already BUILT a discontinued battery for an electric bicycle I have. I >>> have also been able to find several motorcycle batteries of very odd >> sizes >>> and shapes, in stock for immediate purchase! Had I known that Pep Boys >> did >>> not have an EXACT replacement for my battery, I would have gone to >> Battery >>> Power in the first place. I am sure that one way or another I can count >> on >>> them to either resolve the bolt issue, or sell me a new battery that will >>> fit as well as the old one. They may even have battery carrying straps >> and >>> terminal caps in stock! >>> >>> By the way, while my starter battery was removed from the car, I >> discovered >>> that my stereo, dome light, and fluorescent light all worked. I don't >> know >>> if that means that I already have this kind of battery relay system >>> < >> http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2418&category_id=&category_parent_id= >>> installed. Tomorrow I will take a look at the aux battery to see if I >> can >>> figure it out. I do know that there is a 12-volt receptacle attached to >> the >>> aux battery, and I have used it many times. >>> >>> An up date will follow! >>> Patti >>> 90 Westy Automatic >>> Los Angeles >>> >>> >>> >>> *♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪* >>> If it's not on my Smart Phone, it doesn't exist... >>> ●▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬♥▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬● >> -- >> David McNeely >> >> >> >