Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Jul 2015 18:11:30 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Playing around with rear hatch carrier
Comments: To: Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNet.nb.ca>

Good question. My friend has been running the paulchen over to one side with spare on it for a couple elf years now. Not a problem yet.

I don't see the offset to be much of an issue, but you never know. My aluminum rack weighs about 15 lbs. The wheel and tire must be 45-50lbs. So about 60-65 lbs total.

I've seen gary lee racks, both full width and the ladder type loaded up pretty heavily what with tire, jerry cans, bikes. I haven't heard of any issues but maybe folk aren't saying anything. His racks are steel, my rack is aluminum. You could argue that steel is better for this application and I wouldn't disagree. But I could make an aluminum version faster and easier than steel. If I like the rack, I may make another ( or more) from steel or more likely stainless. We don't like working with steel in the shop as we do mostly stainless and aluminum fab. We are careful about contaminating the tools and workspace with steel.

I'm not saying the hatch rack is the answer to all my problems :-) I was forced into it by mounting my big battery where the spare goes and by my failure in making a satisfactory swing away tire carrier.

I don't know if you have realized yet how much I enjoy making things for the van. Most of not all of the time it's an experiment, I make it up as I go, drawing upon other designs and people's suggestions. For sure, not all of my efforts work out. I'm not afraid to try things and quite often they are failures. I was happy with this ladder rack in that it worked out first time. I'm going to savour that as long as I can, it doesn't happen every day.

Alistair