Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Jul 2015 00:20:48 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty windshield retractable shade--good product after all
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I always put up the curtains when camped, particularly the windshield curtain. They really help with blocking light and therefore heat. I have been known to throw a blanket over the outside of the windshield and use the doors to hold it in place. Helps even more. I don't see the need to pay GoWesty for a fancy shade. mcneely

---- Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Does it impede your sight lines when retracted? I assume it 'lives' along > each windshield/Door pillar when retracted. I try to "look through the > corner" as I wind through the mountains and canyons rather than right down > in front of the van... > > I have those window rain shields on my 'other' brand van and I found that > having that tinted plastic extend down the pillar to the door sill was > really blocking my sight line...Had to dremel off the down portion to > minimize a 'semi-blind spot... Might not be an issue with a vanagon..or > with the shades of Go Westie?.. > I use a fold up economy sun-shield in my vans and they really do help > keep it cooler...Also, at night when camped near a highway or any street > lights, they make sleeping better without having to have curtains... > > On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Sorry, those of you who poo-pooed Felder Industries' investment in the > > GoWesty retractible sunscreen a year ago. After getting my new windshield > > installed I couldn't wait to install my year old sunscreen I bought on > > sale. > > > > Contrary to the theoreticians who said that it wouldn't do any good inside > > the glass, but had to be outside to reduce heat, this thing ROCKS. I don't > > know where you live, but where I live, the sun coming in like a military > > laser heats the interior to an uncomfortable state, even with all windows > > and hatches open. It isn't a greenhouse with all hatches open. It gets hot > > because the sun reaches the interior. Period. > > > > Today, for the first time, parked in the sun my interior temps were a > > couple of degrees lower than the outside temps. > > > > Wish I had bought this years ago. It has a very cool retractor on each side > > that bring the folding silver curtains back to the edges of the windshield > > when not in use. To use, it, grab the two tabs and bring them together in > > the center behind the mirror and the velcro makes the seal. Cool in every > > sense of the word. > > > > Jim > >

-- David McNeely