Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Jul 2015 09:40:53 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help! Weird noises after installing injectors...
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>

Vanagon valve clatter can be incredibly loud and scary sounding for those who are not familiar with it! It is a more metallic sound than the deeper clunking sound from a bad bearing, kind of the difference between hitting metal with a carpenter's hammer vs. with a sledge hammer. In fact, it is the flat lifter "hammering" on the valve train as it is flung off the cam.

If these guys have not heard it before, they could be chasing ghosts. They should find what appears to be an out of adjustment valve with a large gap, but you don't want them to tighten it down!! It's just the flat lifter causing that.

If your oil pressure is good, just drive it with the rpms around 3000 for 3 to 5 miles before they do anything to your engine. You can do this around town by staying in a lower gear, or jump on the freeway if traffic happens to be moving!

Stuart