Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Jul 2015 10:55:04 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Logan Pass - blew the expansion tank temp sensor
Comments: To: Goetz Aust <gkaust@gmail.com>

I'd be curious as to why that part popped out. The expansion tank plastic does start to get old and fail over time. Same could be said for the fluid level sensor? (threads fail?)

After work is done, keep checking coolant levels. And, with engine off, engine at operating temp, watch coolant flow from inlet pipe into the coolant expansion tank. After a cooling system has been opened up, it's normal to see little air bubbles come in via that pipe. Flow of those bubbles should stop after some miles. How many I can't say. Sorry. Regardless, if you still see air bubbles after something like 1000 miles, I'd get the cooling system pressure tested.

The new coolant sensor should be installed with an O ring. New part may come with that O -ring.

Neil.

On 7/9/15, Goetz Aust <gkaust@gmail.com> wrote:

> ..... Nothing unusual going up the pass except for slightly high > temperature. > > Steam and coolant spilling out the back and onto the parking lot. .... > After the ranger arrived I managed to find my problem - the temperature > sensor had broken at the threads, and popped out of the expansion tank .....

> I'm not much of a mechanic, and surprised the shop didn't have a look at > the engine. They seemed to be comfortable with my interpretation of what > happened. They quoted me roughly $350 for work that needs to be completed > which seemed excessive but it was explained to me that it will take some > hours to ensure that all the air bubbles will need to be cleared. I'm > hoping that there hasn't been any damage to the motor with such a sudden > loss of coolant even though appeared to shut-down normally.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>