Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jul 2015 15:35:37 -0600
From:         Steve Williams <steve@WILLIAMSITCONSULTING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge frustration

Hi,

One thing I did that seemed to help quite a bit on my propane part of my fridge was to use duct tape to attach a small hose the the end of my shop vac hose. A hose small enough that I could slide it down the pipes from the outside of the vehicle. Taking the silver cover off first of course. Turn the vacuum on & put the hose down as far as it will go. I think I had about 3 feet of maybe 1/2 inch clear hose that I picked up at my local FLAPS.

It not as good as taking everything apart, but it got my system lighting much more reliably.

I second the idea of lighting the burners first. I agree it makes no sense, but from my years of owning, it does seem to help.

Additionally, starting it plugged into AC for a few hours helps as well, as it gets things "warm" in the back, which starts a draft which is so critical to the operation of the system.

I wouldn't expect a mechanic to have any expertise in these. If it was working when you put it away, other than critters and/or a bit more corrosion (rust), there shouldn't be much preventing it from lighting again. It can be very frustrating though..

Good Luck, and ask back if you don't make any progress!

Cheers, Steve Williams

On 19/07/2015 12:54 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > Maureen, Assuming that there is propane in the tank, that the propane valve is open, and that you are following the lighting instructions posted on the refrigerator (inside the door) the first thing I would do would be to light a burner on the stove for a few minutes, and then try the refrigerator on propane again. I know some will argue that this has no logical mechanical explanation for working, and therefore does not work. Try it. I was skeptical, but now I accept it as a fact. Of course, there may be a reason your refrigerator won't light up that has nothing to do with gas flow. Another thing I would do would be to open the drain (brass screw cover, left side of refrigerator, near the floor). I might even attach a length of proper sized hose to that and puff a little air through it to blow any debris off of the burner and to assure that it is getting enough air. mcneely > > ---- Maureen <maureenehall@YAHOO.CA> wrote: >> Hi folks >> >> My original 91 fridge has stopped running on gas. It worked when I put it to bed for the winter and it works on AC and DC but now it won't start up and run on gas. There is propane in the tank. Any suggestions on what to try or what to ask the mechanic to look at? >> >> Thanks, >> Maureen >> '91 Westy > -- > David McNeely