Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jul 2015 18:17:14 -0400
From:         "sailingfc dslextreme.com" <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM>
Subject:      Re: bad fit brake switches
Comments: To: Spencer Allen <spencervw@AOL.COM>

When I bought a new MC from Van Cafe, the switches were 3 terminal instead of the 2 terminal OEM switch. When I ask VC about this, the 2 terminal is NLA and the 3 terminal is the replacement. The spacing is also wider than the OEM switch. VC says to gently bend the 2 terminals inward slightly and the 2 terminal connector should slide on. I went an extra step and applied heat to the plastic housings and spread the legs out a bit. It did the trick and that's how I "hacked" my brake light connections. BTW, the third terminal has no use on a Vanagon.

Good Luck.

-Dick-

----- Original Message ----- From: Spencer Allen <spencervw@AOL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 17:14:06 -0400 (EDT) Subject: bad fit brake switches

What's up with available brake switches from our vendors and FLAPS? Need switches for my 85 Westy so went to NAPA and got the same made in Spain (FAE brand) switch that the VW dealer parts guy says they sell -if they had any. Went home removed the bad 30 year old OEM switch screwed the new one in without checking and found the terminals on the switch are much wider apart than the old one and won't plug into the double taillight wire receptacle in the dashboard. Put in an order and just received two switches from Gowesty and they are not the same as pictured (looks like the OEM) on their website but are the same as what all the other local FLAPS sell. It has a tall black "tab" between the terminals that prevents it from plugging into the receptacle. May try Van Cafe next but don't want to starta collection of ill-fitting parts. Does anyone know where I can get an OEM fit switch or am I going to have to HACK the wires by cutting off the dash receptacle and splice in two female spade terminals? Thanks for any help. Spencer